Username:
MikeW3333

What service is your suggestion for?
All Servers

What are you suggesting?
that there be a price for emeralds

Explain in detail what you are suggesting:
money

What are the benefits of your suggestion for the server?
so emeralds at least have a use other than cosmetics

Will this require a new plugin or a change to an existing one? If so, which one.
no

WeirdBuilder

Strange Dev
Developer
Admin
Forum Premium
Oct 12, 2020
Awards
LV

So here's the deal. While I agree that emeralds should have a sell value, there are a few economic conflicts that would imbalance the current mining implementation. Here's a few options:

Make Emeralds sellable with High price:
To make this change, I would rebalance mining around the inclusion of emeralds. The issue is that you would ONLY EVER meet optimal moneymaking with mining in the Mountain biomes to which emeralds are exclusive. As a result, mining anywhere other than these biomes would net less money made overall and would be considered "nerfed".

Make Emeralds sellable with Low price:
Here, the previous issue would be solved, but emeralds would be worth very little and their price would not reflect their actual rarity. Mining in all biomes would remain relevant, however.

Keep them unsellable:
Obviously not an ideal solution, but the player market would be able to dictate the value of emeralds so that their rarity would (theoretically) be reflected in their price.

Looking forward to seeing some feedback!

Reactions: _imCj

GoldenCactus_

Admin

Admin
Nation Leader
Aureus
Wiki Team Member
Nov 14, 2020
Awards
LV

I would pick a price between iron and diamond, preferably on the higher end. Since villager trading is turned off emeralds despite their rarity serve no purpose other than cosmetics. I would say like between $30-$40 would be a fair price. That is if you intend on allowing us to sell them.

DrowningInPizza

Cheesiest Lead Admin
LeadAdmin
Admin
Forum Premium
Wiki Team Member
Oct 19, 2020
Awards
LV

I would prefer to see the low price option personally. With smaller mining worlds, theres a chance of minimal or tbh even no extreme hill biomes, so that would suck haha. But definitely a price.

FsQ

Citizen

Nov 15, 2020
LV

I prefer the sell high option, I believe these are the rarest things to find aside from Netherite (In my opinion). The rarity would be ranked as: Netherite, Emerald, then Diamonds. But I do see your point about the economical situation. Just my opinion! I believe whichever is implemented will be a good thing though! :D

pauldersgate

Potion Boi Mod
Aureus
Forum Premium
Oct 21, 2020
Awards
Cleveland, OH
www.hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com
LV

Mining has been my primary income since launch, and right now mining feels the best it's ever felt for income. Quartz and netherite afaik are intentionally left without /sell value because they are so valuable to players that having them poof into thin air in exchange for a /sell value would feel really bad. When it comes to emeralds, I don't personally mind their lack of /sell value, but if people have serious issues with it I'd be in favor of the low price option to keep mining in non-mountain biomes unchanged.

MikeW3333

Citizen

Nov 13, 2020
LV

So here's the deal. While I agree that emeralds should have a sell value, there are a few economic conflicts that would imbalance the current mining implementation. Here's a few options:

Make Emeralds sellable with High price:
To make this change, I would rebalance mining around the inclusion of emeralds. The issue is that you would ONLY EVER meet optimal moneymaking with mining in the Mountain biomes to which emeralds are exclusive. As a result, mining anywhere other than these biomes would net less money made overall and would be considered "nerfed".

Make Emeralds sellable with Low price:
Here, the previous issue would be solved, but emeralds would be worth very little and their price would not reflect their actual rarity. Mining in all biomes would remain relevant, however.

Keep them unsellable:
Obviously not an ideal solution, but the player market would be able to dictate the value of emeralds so that their rarity would (theoretically) be reflected in their price.

Looking forward to seeing some feedback!
I believe they should be held with a high price only because they are quite difficult to come by however every mining world most likely has a few emeralds in it as long as there is a sunken boat or an extreme hills biome or desert temple or jungle temple. however you cant do anything but make blocks out of them I would recommend maybe 300$ per emerald not to high but useful if you manage to find one

_imCj

Landlord

Demoria
Nov 17, 2020
LV

-1 Based mostly on what Weird said above. I don't think nerfing mining as a whole in order to make emeralds sellable to the server makes any sense given the size of the mining worlds and rarity of the required biome. Hopefully with the addition of an international trade channel a player market for emeralds will develop that reflects their rarity in the price and this won't be necessary. In my opinion, once nations begin trading rare items such as emeralds more often it will be easier to determine their worth and to export them to other nations that want them for builds.

Reactions: DrowningInPizza

Pab_Jr

Developer
Developer
Forum Premium
Oct 12, 2020
Awards
LV

We will not be putting a sell price to emeralds.

Revanrose6

Owner

Owner
Oct 11, 2020
Awards
LV

Emeralds are now useful via our new repair system!

Status
Not open for further replies.