LV

Username:
Director7

What service is your suggestion for?
Imperia

What are you suggesting?
rework the spawn tutorial

Explain in detail what you are suggesting:
I think that the current tutorial at spawn is very poorly written. When a new player comes on they'll read through the tutorial quickly and I don't think it does a good enough job of explaining the way nations work, or how the political/economic systems work, which are really important for picking your nation, and once you've picked out a nation then you can't really swap, since you've already dedicated your whole playtime to that nation, meaning people will pick one on impulse to get straight to survival without knowing what kind of place each nation is. I think a much better written tutorial that explains everything you REALLY need to know would be much better, as people find out most necessary information about slightly later game through chat and playtime, but I think that the tutorial at spawn should do a better job of teaching newbies what a nation is, and how to pick theirs, by at least encouraging them to ask in chat what kind of place each nation is.

What are the benefits of your suggestion for the server?
much easier for newer players to understand the unique concept of the server

Will this require a new plugin or a change to an existing one? If so, which one.
no

DrowningInPizza

Cheesiest Lead Admin
LeadAdmin
Admin
Forum Premium
Wiki Team Member
Oct 19, 2020
Awards
LV

Couple things.

First and foremost, it's short and sweet on purpose. And there's clickable links to go to full articles explaining everything in detail on the wiki in each little section. People want to just dive into the game. If the tutorial is too long, and there's too much to read, they're just going to skip it entirely and not get any information.

Secondly, we can't really explain the politics on each nation in tutorial because they a) are not established yet b) will be ever changing.
As for encouraging them to ask in chat, most of them already do. That's one of the first questions new players tend to ask is "What's the difference between the nations" to which we answer and can explain more about the differences going on.

I don't see an issue with a few tweaks just to maybe explain that once you rank to colonist you can't change after that without immigrating, but idk if that's something I'd cram into the tutorial, as again there are links under each little blurb that are clickable that take you to full. much more detailed instructions.

It's a -1 from me.

Director7

Citizen

Nov 15, 2020
Australia
LV

Couple things.

First and foremost, it's short and sweet on purpose. And there's clickable links to go to full articles explaining everything in detail on the wiki in each little section. People want to just dive into the game. If the tutorial is too long, and there's too much to read, they're just going to skip it entirely and not get any information.

Secondly, we can't really explain the politics on each nation in tutorial because they a) are not established yet b) will be ever changing.
As for encouraging them to ask in chat, most of them already do. That's one of the first questions new players tend to ask is "What's the difference between the nations" to which we answer and can explain more about the differences going on.

I don't see an issue with a few tweaks just to maybe explain that once you rank to colonist you can't change after that without immigrating, but idk if that's something I'd cram into the tutorial, as again there are links under each little blurb that are clickable that take you to full. much more detailed instructions.

It's a -1 from me.
I see where you're coming from but I sorta disagree.
First, very few people are willing to click links to go to the website because they just wanna jump into the game and aren't gonna read the wiki for more info, they'd much rather stick in-game, but that's not really the issue I think.
The big problem I think is that many people will pick their nation without realising that it's a significant decision, I've spoken to people who didn't realise that yet and thought it was just different worlds you can go to and from, I've watched people walk through spawn and join nation 1 because it's the first boat they see, and I think that a lot of the information presented in the tutorial just isn't relevant yet and there are more important things they need to know.

Revanrose6

Owner

Owner
Oct 11, 2020
Awards
LV

Additional Help Files have been created with /help you should see a list of all help files including one that explains the Nations with /Nation. I will add that to the tutorial.

Locked and Approved

Status
Not open for further replies.