Suggestion: Defined limits on speech and expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kekaroni

Citizen

Dec 3, 2020
LV

Username:
Kekaroni

What service is your suggestion for?
All Servers

What are you suggesting?
Defined limits on speech and expression.

Explain in detail what you are suggesting:
People keep getting told not to talk about certain topics. I've taken the liberty to go back through the chat rules and have discovered that the rules use a blanket term over any inappropriate subjects. Who gets to say what topics are inappropriate and how far can that go? It is simply a flaw that was overlooked and needs to be redone. At the moment there is toxicity brewing from this problem that has caused some tensions between unnamed staff and players which is mainly why I believe this is necessary to focus on.

What are the benefits of your suggestion for the server?
Less controversy and more understanding.

Will this require a new plugin or a change to an existing one? If so, which one.
nah

Revanrose6

Owner

Owner
Oct 11, 2020
Awards
LV

Thank you for your suggestion. As the one who wrote the server rules, I will happily explain my reasoning behind leaving the definition of 'inappropriate subjects' up to the staff discretion. So to your first question, inappropriate is defined by the staff handling the issue based off of official guidelines provided to them for how to handle issues. If, for some reason, a player vehemently disagrees with their assessment then a staff complaint can be filed, logs can be pulled, and we, the Owners, will be the last say of what is 'inappropriate'. ie: We will decide what we do not want on our Server and then will decide if its worthy of denying someone access.

Now, as to why it is a vague statement of 'inappropriate'. It is not to give wiggle room to those who wish to make comments that are not okay. So why?

Lets say I sit down and make a list of every inappropriate thing I, and my entire staff team can think of right then. We publish the list on the server rules. Problem 1) Player A walks onto the server, reads the rules an goes 'Cool, then I can talk about X Y Z'. He starts spouting further inappropriate things that are not explicitly listed because we didn't happen to think of them at the time. Now, we have to go edit the rules, because we told you guys that the specific provided list was the only banned things. Then, after adding Player A's crap, THEN we can enforce it.

Furthermore, if a parent is looking at a server to have their child play on and they check the rules and it includes a GIANT list of things they don't want their child looking up... their kid won't be allowed to play here. Why? We banned it right? Yeah but now the kids gonna see the rules and ask the questions and instead of it being a random idiot who brought this up, it was the server itself. Thus the parents will blame us.

In conclusion, a lot of Laws irl and a lot of other rules in game and on other servers are purposefully left vague for a reason. Vagueness allows you to cover things that did not occur to you and frankly covers the servers ass. So I will not be creating a 'defined list' of what is inappropriate for all the reasons stated above.

Locked and Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.