LV

Username:
DrowningInPizza

What service is your suggestion for?
Nation Servers

What are you suggesting?
Making jail only countdown when online

Explain in detail what you are suggesting:
So at the moment, when you jail someone, they can just log off and go do something else for the duration of their jail time. OR if you want to jail someone, before they get back online for grief/etc. you can't really, because chances are by the time they get back on, their jail sentence will already be over.

What are the benefits of your suggestion for the server?
This would allow for easier punishments within nations when it comes to grief/etc. For example, I just found some grief on a public project in the mining world. I understand that the server can't step in, but normally I would issue some jail time. However this user doesn't play alot, so honestly the chances of me remembering the next time I see them are slim. I would love if I could jail them right now, while they are offline, and not have their sentence start until they log on.

Jail is being used as a punishment by nations, and it doesn't feel as much of a punishment if you have to wait after finding evidence, or if they can just log off. I think this would make jailing someone a more effective form of punishment.

Will this require a new plugin or a change to an existing one? If so, which one.
The jail one haha

Neecoalage

That one person
Forum Premium
Oct 16, 2020
Awards
Nation 4
LV

I think it would only be fair to actually have someone live out their punishment. If they only log in after their punishment for something they did wrong, what’s the point of punishment? +1 to this

If you do a crime, you should have to do the time imo

Reactions: DrowningInPizza

MocaBear

Landlord

Former Developer
Kypros
Nov 21, 2020
Awards
LV

+1 i like this, but feel like it might be difficult to make it work. But i love this idea, either this... or extending the time that we can /jail people so even if they are offline it would still be a "punishment" (24hr) etc.

pauldersgate

Potion Boi Mod
Aureus
Forum Premium
Oct 21, 2020
Awards
Cleveland, OH
www.hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com
LV

+1 i like this, but feel like it might be difficult to make it work. But i love this idea, either this... or extending the time that we can /jail people so even if they are offline it would still be a "punishment" (24hr) etc.
I feel like extending the time makes people more likely to just log off and wait it out. I'd rather see someone online to serve a shorter sentence than see them offline for an extended period of time

Reactions: Eggo_XD

MocaBear

Landlord

Former Developer
Kypros
Nov 21, 2020
Awards
LV

I feel like extending the time makes people more likely to just log off and wait it out. I'd rather see someone online to serve a shorter sentence than see them offline for an extended period of time
I am all for requiring someone to be online... but I think that's a big ask of a plugin that isn't already doing it (my assumption as it's currently not making them be online) so would require quite a bit of custom coding/changes. It also has the effect of pushing people away knowing they have to log in for 3 hrs before they can do anything... why not just quit and find another server. So if we were to require them online, I think we would have to lower the jail time to something like 1hr max, unless the goal is to push people away.

with the current 3 hour limit for jail time, someone can log off in am, and come back after lunch and play... adding the req online would mean they sit AFK instead of logging off or they sit in global complaining/talking and the whole server hears that for 3 hours, as talking in chat is all they can do. with a 24 hr jail time even if they log off, they cant play for a day which I feel would be a punishment in itself for those who are interested in playing and made a mistake. but iirc the extending of time was a separate suggestion already denied.

Reactions: DrowningInPizza

DrowningInPizza

Cheesiest Lead Admin
LeadAdmin
Admin
Forum Premium
Wiki Team Member
Oct 19, 2020
Awards
LV

I am all for lowering the jail times, cause let's face it, even 10 minutes is super boring.

Pab_Jr

Developer
Developer
Forum Premium
Oct 12, 2020
Awards
LV

So I have two points to make;

Requiring users to be ingame is a fairly easy solution. HOWEVER;
1. If this were to ever happen I would definitely lower the maximum jail time, as forcing someone to be in a cell and do nothing for 3 hours is simply ridiculous. Nation Staff are not staff and should not have the ability to keep users from using the Tales of Imperia Server.

2. Another option is simply to make the jail time 12 hours or something maximum without requiring them to be ingame.

Tbh I am not a fan of either option however if we were to implement something I would be for my first option. So the question becomes what is a reasonable time? I would be interested in hearing nation staff's opinion aswell as users who may be effected by this change.

Please note this does not mean we are making any decision on the matter, I am simply offering my perspective on the matter and wishing to get further clarification from users on what exactly it is that they may want out of a change such as this.

YandereDevil

Citizen

Nov 13, 2020
LV

If this was implemented i would definitely just log in and afk my time while I do other stuff lol, if you wanna make jail more punishing make it like a super hard parkour course that you have to beat if you want to escape or something that that, something super annoying and tedious

Revanrose6

Owner

Owner
Oct 11, 2020
Awards
LV

We will be implementing this soon (probably next few days or so) with a shorter cap on how long you can jail for. Marking as In Progress and will update here when implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.