Not open for further replies.

Revanrose6

Owner

Owner
Oct 11, 2020
Awards
LV

Overthrow Discussion​

Several people have requested we have alternative methods beyond a vote for overthrowing your leadership. I have decided that we will create multiple methods and allow each Nation's government to choose which method they wish to implement. Due to this, I would like to open the floor up to you, the Players, to discuss options in addition to the current one.

I would like to preface that it is my goal to make them all relatively equal in difficulty. I do not want a Nation that is physically impossible to remove the government from.

Ideas So Far From Inside Imperia's Gov​

1. Increasing the Percentage Required of the Populace to Overthrow
  2. Adding a PvP Option whereas upon reaching a certain percentage, each side would bring fighters to an arena in Imperia and a battle for leadership would commence.
  3. Adding a way to pay the Imperia government a very large sum of money to 'Assassinate' the leaders of that Nation.
    1. This one comes with a caveat of the one paying cannot be part of the Government afterward, allowing Nation to buy protection against assassination, and putting a very large 'Cooldown' on its use. Further, this option would, if added, be available for everyone and not a primary way of removing a government.

Please post your opinions on both the ideas listed above, and additional ideas in the thread.​

MocaBear

Landlord

Former Developer
Kypros
Nov 21, 2020
Awards
LV

1) I agree increase percentage to overthrow!
2) I love this option... rebels vs Nation, but maybe creating a "capture the flag" type thing in arena where the nation protects their flag.. whoever has the flag at end of ___min will be owners of the nation. This way it would include strategy, and knowledge, more than just who is good at pvp.
3) im not a fan of this one Money alone shouldnt be an indicator for leadership.

Reactions: DOUG_DIMMADOME

pauldersgate

Potion Boi Mod
Aureus
Forum Premium
Oct 21, 2020
Awards
Cleveland, OH
www.hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com
LV

So for #1 I think a raise in percentage is in order. I think nations that are democratic or people-centered will set election options at 51% in their own laws, so Imperia's standard for removing non-democratic governments should be higher. I like the idea of splashing in some PvP as well. #3 I like only because it blocks the one paying from joining the government, however the workaround is to give someone else the money and have them pay for the assassination. I think the only way to make #3 work is to have a new contest/election/whatever after the assassination rather than having the person paying pick the new leader. That way it's an option for someone with money who doesn't like their government to change it without necessarily having to take over themselves. Not everyone who's opposed to their government necessarily wants to take leadership, so having an option to remove the government and starting an election or contest would be good.

Kekaroni

Citizen

Dec 3, 2020
LV

I do like 1 and 2 with 1 having a percentage of like 75 or 80 along with 2 being used only in the event that a government leader refuses to step down. And if 2 doesnt work then you can use 3 in the way that paul suggested. I think that if you go through that 1, 2, 3, process then it would be perfect.

Minase1

Citizen

Dec 5, 2020
LV

I think there should be an ability for a single player or small group of players to rebel against the government and challenge them. I think leader life should matter a lot. Example: Dictatorship government and the dictator dies there should be some kind of punishment for that. Perhaps in order to overthrow a government the leader has to die a certain amount of times in a fight? Not sure exactly how, but there should be an alternative way to overthrow a government even if you don't have majority vote.

GIGeorge

Landlord

Demoria
Forum Premium
Nov 18, 2020
LV

The capture the flag idea from Unique_Beagle is my favorite so far. This makes a lot of sense for an overthrow in the sense of forcing groups of ppl in the nation to fight against one another. Seems realistic to me and a fun challenge, especially if NPCs are involved.

1: I like the percentage idea however I'd prefer it be dependent on government type. If there is a dictatorship or monarchy a vote doesn't make sense. There would need to be hostile takeover.
2: I love the idea of PVP being involved because takeovers are generally hostile. I would like to see groups fighting rather than 1v1 because that can be skewed in favor of someone with a better ping. Having it be a PVP event would be fun, memorable, and challenging. It would make ppl think twice before overthrowing.
3: The third option is an interesting concept as long as the amount is actually substantial.

My two cents: PVP should be a big focus of overthrows. Or at least the risk of PVP which leads the current Nation Leader to consider allowing a vote. Ultimately, leave the overthrow decisions up to the nations. The players know what will work best in their government. There isn't a "one-overthrow-fits-all". Adjust according to the people's decisions. Maybe current leader sets overthrow requirements in place. (Assuming they're balanced)

P.S. I love that the dev team takes time to hear out what the players think. That's one of the best parts of this server.

Director7

Citizen

Nov 15, 2020
Australia
LV

100% make it harder to overthrow nations

I think something more to do with pvp/wealth is definitely better than a straight vote, otherwise the system is inherently democratic, which really makes other political systems really hard to make work

I think it's very important to allow unpopular people to stay in power with enough effort

Qubs

Citizen

Nov 16, 2020
LV

So for me, the 2nd option is a little tricky. Just taking people to the arena and giving them the stuff to fight with is kinda counterproductive, due to the fact that each side would probably want to prepare for a fight in some way, whether it would be by stockpiling on resources/gear or by building stronger defences. On the other hand, making them battle it out in the nation's territory does sound like it might be hard to implement properly.

One way to make it work somewhat reasonably is a combination of TD+CTF sort of ordeal, where both sides fight it out on a prebuilt arena, where the current government tries to defend sth from being killed/destroyed/taken. Everyone would start out with something really basic, but each side could contribute materials and/or IMP to get better gear or to upgrade their defences. It will require someone to plan and build each level of gov side defences, but it would be a one-time thing - once you have everything built you just copy the appropriate setup to where the battle will commence and let the people do whatever in that area - you just need to keep track of who has what before the fight happens.

That's all I can think of rn, any feedback would be appreciated.

pauldersgate

Potion Boi Mod
Aureus
Forum Premium
Oct 21, 2020
Awards
Cleveland, OH
www.hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com
LV

Also, possibly some sort of temporary penalty after an overthrow to represent the instability of the nation after a change of leadership. I'm not sure how it wold work on here, but I'm thinking along the lines of civ 5 when you change ideologies and you get less tenants in the new one.

Revanrose6

Owner

Owner
Oct 11, 2020
Awards
LV

This thread had very little traction at the time of its creation and has had little traction since then, so I will be locking this thread for now. That being said, I am very much so hoping to someday be able to tackle the concept of making overthrows more interesting. There are several major projects in the works though that will be coming first. For now, I will be locking this thread.

If, for some reason, the issue of overthrows being too simple comes up again, I have no issue with players making thoughtful suggestions on how to change the system. I just ask that you be cognizant of the fact that there are several big changes coming to some of our systems that may make your ideas easier or harder depending.

Status
Not open for further replies.